HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN TO DOUBLE FOR TAKEOUT?
When the opponent on your right opens the bidding in a suit , you can do one of three things:
1. Overcall with a 5 card or longer suit and 8+ points at the one level or 12 or more points and a 5 card or longer suit at the 2 level
2. Bid no trump with a stopper in opponents suit and 15-18 points
Since you are “IN PAIN” — DOUBLE!
1. Support for the unbid suits (two 4 card suits AND at least a 3 card suit for the third suit))
2. Opening points (high card points plus dummy points in opponent’s suit –
5 for a void;
3 for singleton;
and 1 for doubleton – add dummy points to high card points for total hand value
then DOUBLE FOR TAKEOUT!!!!!!!
ADVANCER (YOUR PARTNER’S NEW DESIGNATION — is not the responder –
If the opponent (RESPONDER) on Your left passes, the double is FORCING even with ZERO POINTS YOU MUST BID ———-YES, you don’t want to leave opponents doubled in a one level bid as they will no doubt make it!
THIS IS THE TWO PART RESPONSE BY ADVANCER:
1. GO SHOPPING AND PICK THE SUIT
give preference to a major suit – hearts or spades – 4 card support –
WITH THE OPPONENT’s suit well stopped consider no trump as your partner has support for the other three suits.
2. SHOW YOUR POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-0-8 bid your suit at cheapest level available
– 9-11 points – jump a level
13 or more – jump to game in a major – jump to 4 level in a minor and invite
when you have strength in the opponent’s suit, bid no trump
If the responder (opp. On your left ) bids over the double – if you have less than 5 points you can pass as the double is taken out. Listen up! – With 6+ you should bid.
WITH AN OPENING POINT HAND YOURSELF YOU CAN CUEBID THE OPPONENT’s opening suit to get more info about the DOUBLER’S hand. A CUEBID BY ADVANCER IS FORCING !!!!!
REBIDS BY TAKEOUT DOUBLER
– the doubler needs to show whether he has a medium or maximum hand
With a minimum opening hand (12-15) – if partner shows 0-8 points you should PASS
With a medium opening hand (16-18) – RAISE ONE LEVEL to invite partner to go to game if at the top of the range
With a maximum opening bid (19-21) JUMP A LEVEL